Saturday, January 24, 2009

Discovery of sOlar Eclipse

When i was young, i always excited about astronomy news. Solar eclipse, Lunar eclipse, meteorite shower, planet discovery... , would alway catch my attention. I remember when I was in primary school, I made a 'pin-hole box' (forgotten what it called) to view my first solar eclipse. It's an indirect way of viewing solar eclipse. However it didn't turn out well, so I used a negative filmstrip to view it directly instead (advise not to try this). And that was the first time i saw it. It was so cool...cause the sun was setting soon.

This year in Singapore, the first solar eclipse will be on 26th Jan 2009, which means it falls on the first day of Chinese New Year! Imagine the late afternoon, the sky becomes darker... it makes me think of my fav drama "Heroes". Haha. This eclipse is an Annular Solar Eclipse of Saros 131 series. Up to 80% of the sun will be blocked by the moon. If interested, you may actually go to Singapore Science Centre Omni-threatre @ at Obseratory at 4pm (website:http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/solar-eclipse-viewing-singapore-science-centre).

The eclipse will start at 4:30 p.m.
Maximum Eclipse at 5:49 p.m.
Eclipse ends at 6:58 p.m. (which means that the sun will be setting too..! so cool!)

Solar Eclipse happens when the moon is in between the Earth and Sun. An annular eclipse occurs when the Sun and Moon are exactly in line, but the apparent size of the Moon is smaller than that of the Sun. Hence the Sun appears as a very bright ring, or annulus, surrounding the outline of the Moon. More info about solar eclipse, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse

However, some Chinese believe that watching solar eclipse will bring bad omen for the entire year. But I believe we are lucky to be in Singapore to view the solar eclipse.

Anyway a very important note, please do not view the sun directly with naked eyes. Your rod and cone cells can't take it. Unless you like this solar eclipse to be the last thing for you to see on Earth, please wear solar glasses or using some safe viewing methods to view the eclipse.

Information on Year 2009 SOlar eclipse: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH2009.html#2009Jan26A

Lastly Happy Chinese New Year, Happy Holiday..!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete